What are the 7 stages of yogurt production?
Yogurt production is definitely not an easy task. It consists of many different stages that the yogurt specialist must follow and of course they vary depending on the type of yogurt! The dairy machinery used in the yogurt production must follow certain rules and specifications.
INOX DESIGN Kateris SA, with its well-trained technical staff, is able not only to provide a package of modern machinery but also to provide all kind of maintenance services for the dairy machines.
What is yogurt?
“Yogurt” is the milk product which is produced by the fermentation and coagulation of milk, with the use of starters, so that the final fermented product contains at least 107 cfu / g of product by the date of consumption.
Milk as defined in Regulation (EC) 1308/2013 is used as raw material of yogurt. It is not allowed to use completely dehydrated milk or milk derivatives in powder form except in some cases.
The protein content of yogurt from cow’s or goat’s milk must be at least 3.2% and from sheep’s milk at least 5.5%. In case of using milk mixtures the minimum protein content is calculated from the proportion of the types of milk.
During the preparation of yogurt in addition to the raw material, only the following are allowed:
- the addition of sour cream to regulate the fat content
- the addition of milk proteins for technological reasons
If other micro-organisms are used for fermentation in addition to the typical culture of yoghurt, they shall be indicated on the label provided that their population is at least 106 cfu / g of product at the date of consumption.
How is strained yogurt produced?
“Strained yogurt” means the product obtained from yogurt after draining part of the serum after coagulation and has at least 5.6% protein for cow’s or goat’s milk and 8% for sheep’s milk. In the case of mixtures of different types of milk, the minimum protein content is calculated based on the proportion of the types of milk.
What are the specifications for traditional yogurt?
“Traditional” is yogurt that meets the following specifications:
- It is prepared with the traditional method in order to bring a film (skin) on its surface.
- Results from the coagulation of exclusively fresh or pasteurized milk which has not undergone a modification of its natural composition with the sole exception of the adjustment of the fat content, to the point where the formation is technically achievable
We, at INOX DESIGN IDK Kateris SA have prepared a quick and easy guide with simple basic 7 stages for all of you who want to get a first taste of this enjoyable process.
The yogurt production process follows the following 7 stages:
1. Milk collection
During the milk collection – management process, the premises should be free of germs to avoid contamination of the milk (as at any stage of milk processing). The milk is weighed so as to calculate the required amount of yeast, as well as the exact number of containers in which the milk will be incubated.
2. Boiling yogurt
While yogurt can be made from room-temperature milk, for best, most consistent results, most yogurt experts recommend first heating the milk to at least 180°F or the boiling point.
The boiling stage is aimed at:
The milk boiling stage will kill competing bacteria, and the whey proteins will denature and coagulate to enhance the viscosity and texture of the final product.
- Milk pasteurization
- Concentration of solid components by evaporation of water
The second element gives the traditional sheep yogurt a better texture resulting in the product having more and richer taste. Boiling must be done in a special double-walled kettle with constant stirring.
3. Milk pasteurization
Extremely high temperature treatment sterilizes food by heating above 135 ° C.
4. Yogurt chilling
After boiling, the milk is placed in plastic cups and allowed to cool gradually and freely until it reaches 45o C. At this stage it is not stirred in order to allow the skin to form (skin). There are certain yogurt machinery that make the procedure of yogurt production smooth.
5. Add cultures
At this stage the milk is inoculated with the yogurt cultures we get, from the previous day’s yogurt (fresh).
6. Yogurt incubation
The inoculated milk is left at 45 ° C until it thickens (about 2-3 hours) in the incubator.
7. Refrigeration – Preservation of yogurt
The yogurt is transferred to cold stores for storage at a temperature of 4o C. At this last stage the yogurt is ready to be left on special trolleys with shelves to drain.
The 7 stages of yogurt production concern the products produced in Greece. Any product that has been manufactured or marketed legally in other EU Member States can be marketed in Greece when it has been manufactured to standards, specifications, and appropriate dairy machines.
They must also be proven to guarantee an equivalent field of quality and safety for the protection of human health, the safety of the interests of the consumer and the environment.
- DAIRY EQUIPMENT
- PREHEATERS WITH TOPPER
- COOLERS WITH PUMP
- MILK BOILERS
- BURNER BOILERS
- STEAM BOILERS
- ELECTRIC BOILERS
- TANKS FOR MATURING WHITE CHEESE
- OPENING MACHINE FOR CHEESE CONTAINERS
- TURNING MACHINE FOR FETA CHEESE CONTAINERS
- CONVEYOR BELTS
- TEFLON ROTATABLE TABLE
- CUTTING MACHINES
- FETA CHEESE CUTTING MACHINES
- MACHINES CUTTING FETA CHEESE INTO CUBES
- PACKAGING MACHINES
- FETA – WHITE CHEESE PRODUCTION
- CHEESE VATS WITH VARIOUS DIMENSIONS
- FETA INTEGRATED PRODUCTION LINES
- TROLLEY BENCHES FOR CURD DRAINING
- TURNING MACHINE FOR FETA CHEESE MOULDS
- STACKERS FOR MOULDS
- DESTACKER FOR MOULDS
- FETA CHEESE MOULDS
- CURD CUTTER
- WASHERS FOR MOULDS
- OTHER EQUIPMENT
- DELTA CREAM STABILIZER
- FROZEN WATER TANK
- CLOSING FETA CONTAINERS
- CONVEYORS FOR PARKING MOULDS
- MODEULAR CONVEYOR BELT
- CONVEYOR BELT WITH STAINLESS STEEL CHAIN
- CONVEYORS CUTTERS BELT
- ENDLESS TYPE CONVEYOR
- CUTTING CURD
- STEAM TANKS
- SQUARE TANKS
- THREE LEVEL TROLLEY
- HANGER DRAINING COTTAGE CHEESE BENCH
- HEALTHY WASHBASIN
- BUTTER BARRELS
- CHEESE CUTTING MACHINES
- YOGHURT PRODUCTION MACHINERY
- YOGHURT DISTRIBUTION PUMPS
- YOGHURT PISTOLS
- YOGHURT CHAMBERS
- TROLLEYS WITH DRAINING SHELVES
- YOGHURT PACKING
- YOGHURT PRODUCTION GROUP
- LIQUID PUMPER
- HALOUMI PRODUCTION MACHINERY- CHEESE GRILL
- CLEAN IN PLACE – MACHINERY CIP
- BAKERY MACHINERY
- YELLOW CHEESE PRODUCTION
- PRODUCTION OF HARD CHEESE
- PRESSERS FOR MOULDS
- DISTRIBUTION AND DRAINING BENCHES
- DISTRIBUTORS FOR BENCH DRAINING
- WASHERS FOR CHEESE HEADS
- SHELVES FOR HARD CHEESE MATURING
- CHEESE MOULDS
- COTTAGE CHEESE PRODUCTION
- STEAM BOILERS – SIMPLE TYPE MUZITHRAS
- STEAM BOILERS – HARD TYPE MUZITHRAS
- CHEESE TABLES AND HANGERS